Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: COVID19 - Unpacking fact vs fiction! + Self Care Strategies

This was shared with me today. Just putting it here. 
4DA03354-2253-44D8-93D4-420ECBD0A938.png

That's great @Teej 

Here are some easy tips for improving the regularity of your daily routines, even when nothing about your life feels regular.

Self-Management Strategies for Increasing Regularity of Daily Routines
• Set up a routine for yourself while you are in quarantine or working from home; routines help stabilize body clocks
• Get up at the same time every day: a regular wake time is the most important input for stabilizing your body clock
• Make sure you spend some time outdoors every day, especially in the early morning; your body clock is regulated by the light – dark cycle
• If you can’t go outside try to spend at least 2 hours by a window, looking into the daylight, and focusing on being calm
• Set times for a few regular activities each day such as home tutoring, telephone calls with a friend, or cooking; do these activities at the same time each day
• Exercise every day, ideally at the same time each day
• Eat meals at the same time every day; if you’re not hungry, at least eat a small snack
• Social interactions are important, even during social distancing; seek out “back and forth” social interactions where you share thoughts and feelings with another person in real time; videoconferencing, telephone, or real-time text-messaging is preferred to scrolling through messages; schedule these interactions at the same time every day
• Avoid naps during daylight hours, especially later in the day; if you must nap, restrict the nap to 30 minutes—napping can make it hard to fall asleep at night
• Avoid bright light (especially blue light) in the evening (eg, computer screens, smartphones); blue spectrum light suppresses the hormone that helps us sleep
• Stick to a consistent sleep and wake time that fits your natural rhythms; if you are a night owl, it’s ok to stay up a little bit later and get up a little bit later than others in the household, but make sure you go to sleep and get up at the same time every day.

Disclosures: 
These tips are from an article which  appeared in The Psychiatric times and was written by Dr Gottlieb

Really struggling with this as I have infection. Focused Ocd that seems to flare up with stress. Still working as an essential worker in childcare is making this terrifying and I feel so overwhelmed every day. Is anyone else in this situation? How do you cope with being essential in high risk environments that don't include ppe and what are some strategies you may use to get through.

Also really enjoying animal crossing on the switch to get my mind off things at home. 

Hi @KawaiiLife , a BIG thankyou for continuing to work and help the next generation. Working with children can be vastly underrated by some people, but most recognise the importance of what you do everyday and how the flow on effects of your work makes it easier for others. OCD is not my primary diagnosis, but I will say this: you lose no points for checking certain things repeatedly. Essential things like hand washing,making sure the stove is turned off etc etc. These sorts of reminders are good and are there for a reason, reasons  which you can pass on to the children in your care. You're doing a great job, keep it up!

Hi @Mex thank you very much. I've had a couple of days off due to things being so hard. Your advice has really helped me. It's hard at the moment constantly being afraid of infection but I know what I perceive as weaknesses can also be used as strengths in these times and I know I have the knowledge to keep the kids and families safe by taking the precautions I take. I'm still nervous but it's great to have people that understand in the world. I feel slightly less alone then I did yesterday so I thank you.

cv-20200407-045028.jpeg

cv-shopping.jpg

just love that graph @Former-Member and also that meme Smiley LOL

ISOLATION OCCUPATION

Four walls slowly closing in

Isolation Occupation
Noone here to hear me sing
Isolation Occupation
Drifting off to lala land.

I find like others it really important to put a little structure in your day. So that might be doing some cleaning, studying for something you've not had time for before or preparing meals ahead of time.

Also important is limiting your time hearing, reading or watching information about the virus. While it's important to have knowledge of what the current restrictions might be, saturating yourself in the virus news (did you notice my pun there) can be detrimental and all consuming. I don't own a television but I do rely on social media a lot. So I put limits on how much time I spend on news and current affairs. Also, the more you focus on something in Facebook land, the more the algorithms will send you of the same stuff! Instead I've gone looking for funny videos or human kindness groups. And each day I'm finding more things that remind me life can be good and beautiful. And we humans are often creative in a crisis. Especially us Aussies. From dressing up to putting out the bin, adopting healthcare workers, helping out the lonely and vulnerable are jyst some of the beautiful things happening on social media.

And exercise important too. So I'm leaving you a link to a very special workout specifically made for the pandemic. I hope you enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/3qWUpWB8ROA 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Ruah Community Services supports and empowers vulnerable and disadvantaged people so they can create meaningful change in their lives.

13 RUAH (13 7824)

255 Hay Street, Subiaco, Western Australia 6008

connecting@ruah.org.au

Ruah Community Services acknowledges and respects the Traditional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Custodians/Owners of the land on which we work, live and build our lives, families, and communities. We pay our respects to the First Peoples of this country, their cultures and Elders past, present and emerging.