Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Doglover
Senior Contributor

Genetic testing for meds suitability??

Hi all, 

I  read somewhere, possibly on this site, about someone who had specific genetic testing done to assist in determining the appropriate medication for their MI. Does anyone know about this, or had it done, if so, whether it was beneficial?

I am really struggling with my condition and treatment - nothing seems to be working and frankly it's torture! If anyone has experience with this, or anything else they think might help,  id really appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks.

Doglover

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Genetic testing for meds suitability??

Hey there @Doglover  thank you for posting, hopefully one of the forum members has some insight into this Heart 🙂 I am sorry to hear how frustrating it all is, I know it feels ful-on sometimes. Have you spoken to any practitioner's about possible options? I would also recommend seeing if Black Dog Inst. have any info on this.

Hi @Doglover. I don't have much knowledge about genetic testing for psych meds but last year my GP mentioned it given my ongoing issues with treatment resistant mental health issues. I didn't get further than a brief conversation with her about it and have since found a medication that can be used as a mood stabiliser that seems to be helping, but I remember at the time she mentioned there being some issues with Medicare funding for this kind of testing (as in I think it can be funded but only in limited circumstances maybe?). Her belief at the time was that testing could be worth it for me in my situation if we wanted to try.

Do you have a GP to talk with who might be able to support you to decide whether it would be worth it for you?

Hey @Doglover, that does sound interesting and we can see why you would like to find out more information. Unfortunately, we don't have any knowledge on the subject, similar to @CheerBear and @nashy's question - do you have a GP you can chat about this with?

Thanks @nashy ,

Yes it is very frustrating, i seem to hav a lot of issues/reactions to meds so i thought this might help.

Unfortunately my gp and pdoc are not very open to that sort of thing. They just blame me when i dont persist with the medications they give me because they make my symptoms worse. Thanks for the idea re black dog inst.

Appreciate your reply.

Take care, Dog lover

Hi @CheerBear (cool name) ,

Thank you for your reply. Interesting that your gp mentioned it to you. My gp and pdoc just get annoyed at my reactions to medications (they tell me its all in my head) so it must be nice to have a gp thats proactive and wants to find out information that may help you. Great that you found the right med tho. So u have also had treatment resistant MI? Would you be happy to share any of your story with my by way of encouragement?

Unfortunately my gp is a pretty hard woman and pretty inflexible and set in her ways, plus shes just told me she's leaving in 2 weeks which isnt exactly helpful. Obviously she has the right to make whatever decisions she sees fit for her life, and i totally respect that, but just hard from this end when im going through a crisis with severe symptoms, not stabilised and not on the right meds. Never mind, nothing i can do about it. Maybe il end up with a nicer doc!

Thanks for being in touch CheerBear, much appreciated!

Thanks @Ali11,
Further to replies to @nashy and @CheerBear, not really at this stage. Really dont have a very supportive doctor but she is leaving so maybe somebody else in the practice might be better. Will do some research and raise it with the new gp if i decide to go that way.
Is it a common thing to your knowledge Ali11 that a lot of people with MI struggle for some time to get the right medication or mix of medications that work for them?
Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.
Kind regards,
Doglover

Hopefully, you'll be able to find a supportive doctor who will help you out if your current doctor is leaving. Having a support network that you trust is important, and this includes your medical team (or GP). I don't have much knowledge around medications, however, perhaps a @Former-Member can help with that question. 

Thanks @Ali11,
Unfortunately im still working on that supportive team! It is easier said than done in the public system. Its probably not a bad thing my gp is leaving because she really can be very difficult and obstinate. The one good thing however is that she has been bulk billing me (at a non bulk billing clinic) so that has been very helpful with the currnt financial situation (off work for the last 6 months), so thrs no guarantees another gp will do the same. I have a 'community team' made up of pdoc, consultant pdoc, and OT, but really wouldnt consider them a supportive network. The pdoc is weird (in my opinion) and the consultant pdoc gets annoyed with me stopping a medication even if it exacerbates my symptoms to the point that i feel like im going crazy! The OT is nice enough, but not particularly supportive, and also keeps telling me to perserve with meds when im having an intolerable reaction, which i just cant and dont! Anyways, thats my story (or a part of it anyway). I wish i had a team of professionals around me that were more supportive and that i had more confidence in. I wonder if that only comes by going private.
Anyway, thanks for being in touch @Ali11.
By the way, what is a "Community Builder"? ☺
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Ruah Community Services supports and empowers vulnerable and disadvantaged people so they can create meaningful change in their lives.

13 RUAH (13 7824)

255 Hay Street, Subiaco, Western Australia 6008

connecting@ruah.org.au

Ruah Community Services acknowledges and respects the Traditional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Custodians/Owners of the land on which we work, live and build our lives, families, and communities. We pay our respects to the First Peoples of this country, their cultures and Elders past, present and emerging.