Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Self Help Books

Hi everyone

Could you please list self help books that have been helpful for your recovery and your wellbeing

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

22 REPLIES 22

Re: Self Help Books

Hi @Former-Member

Good question to ask the community, I look forward to seeing peoples responses.

Are you looking for books around general mental health recovery or a specific area? 

🙂

Surviving Schizophrenia - a manual for families, patients and providers by E. Fuller Torrey, M.D.

The book provides very helpful information about the illness, possible outcomes and medications. It's an American book so some sections (on the health system) are less relevant here.

Hey @Former-Member

I've got a DBT (dialetical behaviour therapy) book that I used for borderline personality disorder.

The book is called DBT Skills Training Handouts and Worksheets.  

Even though i used this book with my therapist, you can have a read and do the questions on your own.

There are a few BPD books that I have read but they weren't self help books.

Hello @Former-Member, I have several books that I have read and are reading, both old and new. Close to where I live we have a dump that has a Tip Shop. I have managed to get alot (at 5 for $1, extremely cheep) from there and it depends on what you are looking for. Op shops and second hand book shops are great and cheap. I tend to have a read of parts and them make up my mind from there. 

One that has take my attention now for the situation I am in is called "When everything changes, Change everything." by Neale Donald Walsch, approx $20.00 from QBD.

Another is Turning Stress into Success by Dr peter Stebbins, found it at an Op Shop $2.00.

Hope this helps you in some way.

Have a good night.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Pebbles Smiley Happy

Thanks for your message Smiley Happy

I thought it would be helpful for myself and other members to have some names of books that have helped others in their recovery.

I am iterested in books or themes relating to- depression, anxiety, self care, tramua,new age, self development but I am open to what the other members have to say too.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Former-Member, think there's another thread a few months ago on books. Can't find it. What's books helped me:

"Taming the Blackdog" by Asbett

" New Earth" Echart Tolle

"Happiness Trap' Riss Harris

" Reality Slap" Russ Harris

Thanks for clarifying @Former-Member

Lots of great suggestions coming through already and looking forward to seeing more.

I have read Echkart Tolle's 'The Power of Now' and "A New Earth' books, possibilities to borrow through local libraries. I'm also a big fan of Russ Harris and ACT, found the illustrated version of 'The Happiness Trap' easy to read and put into practise. It also has excersices to complete throughout the book which are great to practise and demonstarte what he's talking about. 

Pebbles 🙂

Former-Member
Not applicable

Oh @Pebbles, I so gotta have the illustrated versions lol
ps how's BamBam? lol

He he!

Bam Bam's good thanks @Former-Member always loved the Flinstones!

Definitely worth a look at @Former-Member I'm sure you won't be disappointed if you've enjoyed his work 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Ruah Community Services supports and empowers vulnerable and disadvantaged people so they can create meaningful change in their lives.

13 RUAH (13 7824)

255 Hay Street, Subiaco, Western Australia 6008

connecting@ruah.org.au

Ruah Community Services acknowledges and respects the Traditional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Custodians/Owners of the land on which we work, live and build our lives, families, and communities. We pay our respects to the First Peoples of this country, their cultures and Elders past, present and emerging.