Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

new therapist discomfort

hi everyone,

im going to see a male therapist for the first time on monday and i am not completly comfortable with it but he is the only one availble for what i need. i know its for only 2-3 sessions and i can have someone come in with me but im still uprehensive about it. has anyone else been in this boat

8 REPLIES 8
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: new therapist discomfort

hi @Former-Member

Going to see a male counsellor for the first time is understably a little daunting and I have felt this myself in the past but in then end I had nothing to be concerned about. It can be hard initially when there are reservations but try to have some faith in the 'human' that has chosen a helping profession as their vocation and hopefully you will be able to relax. It's always good to know that you can have someone with you if you need, maybe if even for the first session. Best of luck, hope it goes well. Smiley Happy

shel49

Hi @Former-Member

Just to add to what Shel said, it's pretty common to feel nervous about seeing a new therapist. @Queenie talks about it here too.

It's great that you're willing to give it a go. Who knows - it might be a new dynamic that you find really helpful. 

Let us know how you go.

Nik

Hi aj1,

It's always tough seeing a new therapist and having to repeat things you might have already said or done.   I actually prefer male therapists (I'm a female), I find they are more to the point than female ones.  You could look at this as being a person with a fresh new outlook to help you.  Sometimes a different person can see things a bit differently which could be helpful.

hi @Former-Member,

wishing you well with the consultation! i've found that a therapist's interest in my specific needs and experience has complety outweighed their gender. i have a mental health nurse and he is male, he's the only person i've come across in the community that understands my experience of thought form whereas all the rest run to the conclusion that i am being disruptive which doesn't help me stay in treatment.

just throwing it in, the therapist might have a gender expression different to what he looks like. maybe they self identify as female but that is a personal thing.

hopefully the 2-3 sessions will be really great and helpful to you. good luck!

Former-Member
Not applicable

hi @JasJac@Alone@NikNik and @Former-Member

It went well today. my anxiety over a male therapist went after the first 5mins and I finally have a proper diagnosis of complex PTSD and dissociative identity disorder.

thankyou all for your comments, support and advice

Hi there, 

It is a very common to feel uncomfortable to meet a psychiatrist or psychologist  of different gender for the first time. I have had the same feelings years back and till now im seeing a female psychiatrist. They are trained and have practiced to build a rapport with their patients so do not hesitate to meet them. Go ahead. After two or three meetings you would not want to change your psychiatrist. Belive me. God bless you.

will be seeing a new physiologist soon. I have been having counciling sessions but now it's time to move on and go forward. I admit I'm scared as i suffer with bad anxiety and panic disorders along with other Mental health issues. I know the first step is the hardest but i will get there. Good luck to you and your journey God Bless

That's awesome @Norma
The true meaning of courage - feeling the fear and doing it anyways.
Power to you!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Ruah Community Services supports and empowers vulnerable and disadvantaged people so they can create meaningful change in their lives.

13 RUAH (13 7824)

255 Hay Street, Subiaco, Western Australia 6008

connecting@ruah.org.au

Ruah Community Services acknowledges and respects the Traditional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Custodians/Owners of the land on which we work, live and build our lives, families, and communities. We pay our respects to the First Peoples of this country, their cultures and Elders past, present and emerging.