Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Caring4Corny

The Corndog is a very rare breed @Former-Member . Enigmatic, and it is uncertain as to if they really exist at all, or only in local legend and the minds of doggy dreamers. Kind of like the black leopard that people claim to have seen around Penrith in western Sydney for the last 40 years...

CornDog.jpg

I have never actually seen a Newfoundland @Former-Member but it would be such a treat to see one in real life. I love the joy of seeing something unexpected. I was walking the family lap dog in the bush reserve the first time I saw the Burnese. We rounded this corner and there he was standing with his chest out on a rock like Aslan, I couldn't believe my eyes. He was very handsome, huge feet and very placid. Not quite as thick as a St Bernard but nearly as tall. 

You have had a big drive and considering that you haven't been well that must have been very draining but worth checking in on your Dad because you would be really worried about him now that your Mum has died. It would be nice to mix up the dynamic of it just being yourself and your husband & seeing your own family. It would get tiring just the 2 of you, and depression and anxiety can feel contagious, throw in alcoholism on top and the days would become monotonous very quickly.

I bet the scenery was quite a sight with all the burnt out forest, but it doesn't seem to really phase the Prime Minister. He'd be making sure the Murdoch papers tow the party line when it comes to climate change.

Have a rest today Sherry and stretch your limbs from the drive! HeartHeart

Newfoundland.jpg

Hugs @Corny 

Heart

Loving all the dog pics. Hoping eveyone on this thread is doing alright.

@Former-Member @Former-Member @outlander @Maggie 

Smiley Happy

@Former-Member Really appreciate you noticing the difference between a controlled fire ... and one that they are struggling to control. So much for "being". They have to be honest as fallout is too dangerous.

On that theme, I watched ABC series Total Control   (not .. lol) and really enjoyed it.

Take Care.

Smiley Happy

Hugs back @Appleblossom and to @Former-Member @Former-Member @outlander @Maggie @Shaz51 @Faith-and-Hope ,I think I need a lift down the sewers on one of the Otters tummies, the ward is full of smoke this morning and out the window is the worst I have seen it to date. It is really thick with smoke haze, and the smell is uncomfortable. It's going to reach over 40 in western Sydney and strong winds too....not a rain cloud in sight but there is dry lightening predicted later today to make the conditions even more dangerous. It would be nice to be a fish in the ocean right now.

My mate just texted me this pic of Sydney Harbour, she is at work and can't see the Bridge

IMG_5233 (2).jpeg

Corny HeartHeart

Sounds awful @Corny. I thought we were in a distant smoke haze here yesterday, all the way down in tassie. Not sure what it was, but I can only imagine being where you are, facing 40. 🌞🌞

Any news of going home.?????

It's really bad up here @Maggie , the fresh air or Tasmania would be nice right now! 

I saw my psychiatrist last night and he has agreed to let me go home tomorrow, yipeeee!

I still have to see him weekly and I may need another tweaking next year but I am so relieved. I need some privacy and my own bed and a home cooked meal. Over 4 months this year in hospital....I have been a gold star patient patient, complied with my treatment but want to continue my recovery at home.

I have also reconnected with my beautiful psychologist I worked with for many years and have had some therapy with her. I really needed to touch base with her because she is the only women I have ever trusted, and although my shrink is my therapist now, I was at risk of completely closing down to all women forever after this years revelations and trauma involving my mother and late father. Very sobering to read similar cases in the news lately and if it happened today they both would be in prison.....

But I have some good news Maggie, I can't remember if I told you but I got a case manager with the Community Mental Health team and she comes to my apartment. She is a mental health nurse and I don't have to worry about not being supported if I am housebound with terrible flashbacks and uncontrollable anxiety. I also get a peer support worker on another day, a women that has lived experience with mental illness and we are going to get me active again and increase my fitness. I don't receive the NDIS but I still wasn't sure if I would qualify to receive this support because I live in a very heavily populated area with lots of people with mental health disabilities....

So I feel a lot better about going home knowing I have support. They are only taking off the public holidays over Christmas, same with my doctor, so I don't have to fret that I can't reach out to anyone if needed. Took me 3 years to get here but I am so relieved that I am managing my condition better than previously.

It is hard to come to terms with my baseline, and that is still a work in progress grieving all the disappointments and losses that come with chronic illness .

Corny Heart

@Corny  I’m really pleased you are going home. Your own bed, cooked meals and privacy are so important. Today will be sorting things out for the big exit.

Reconnecting with a trusted psychologist sounds good to me. I understand the difficulty of trust, ( whatever that means ). My parents would also be locked up today, for their treatment, or lack of treatment to us.

I also have a support person ( social worker) who comes to my home weekly. I understand to well the anxiety it takes to go beyond the door so often. Flashbacks and panic, coming from what can be normal to most.

Baseline, chronic illness, disappointment and loss, yes to all. I’m sorry life is so reduced, but the absolute fact you are at this place is astounding. You are still alive, though alive takes on different meanings for all of us. Many don’t get this far, though I know it’s no consolation. It’s a rough ride all the way.

I will be thinking of you tomorrow, knowing there will be good and scary moments. 💛💛🐶🐶🐶

Former-Member
Not applicable

Oh @Corny the photo of the Sydney Harbour Bridge ... there's nothing to see. Yep the smoke is bad. I've had about 5 weeks of that up here where I am, so far. I agree with you that a visit to @Maggie in crystal clear Tassie would be most beneficial right now, for many of us. How I wish.

But hey Corny ... what fabulous news! Going home tomorrow ... hooray. 🎉🥂 Worthy of a celebration.
Own bed, some home cooked meals ... and oh yeah ... privacy. Bring it all on. So important. 4 months in hospital over several stretches is such a large chunk out of a year. I have no doubt you have been a gold star patient, and you now deserve to be able to continue your recovery in the comfort of home.

Such good news too that you now have a case manager with CMH team. Having a mental health nurse to support you through the most difficult times is a major plus, and will hopefully enable you to do what you want to do ... recover at home with the support you need. I dont know how these services work. You say you dont have NDIS ... is it possible that you may be able to get NDIS, and if so, would it make obtaining much needed services easier for you?

You say its taken you 3 years to get this far. Thats not such a long time in the bigger scheme of things. I think you're doing great ... you are a fighter, a warrior and a survivor. You have been through so much and yet you remain so positive. You are a major inspiration to me.

Sherry 😊💖

I understand the long shadow that neglect and deprivation casts @Maggie . And if you happen to be plonked in a part of society where apparently neglect and deprivation cannot exist it adds another layer of abandonment. The middle class are great at burying their heads in the sand and kids can be pretty easily trained to keep secrets and keep up appearances. 

I am grateful for the care and treatment I have received but yeah, I want to go home.

My admission this year have been very validating with the patients I have met. It seems to be the year of children of narcissistic parents to have a breakdown and end up in a psych ward. It felt like every 2nd person I spoke to had had a similar experience and its not something that someone else can understand unless you have been subjected to that sort of split/double life kind of childhood where you are constantly confused and living on spin cycle in the washing machine. It's an uphill battle from a life of worthlessness to worthiness and I definitely attracted similar people in my friendships in my early adulthood. It takes a lot of self awareness to not recreate that dynamic over and over and over again. I don't know what it is, but us traumatised buttons are like magnets, we seem to attract deceiving leeches. I guess it is all we knew. 

But you are right, not all children survive and are still alive. A reduced life does make me sad, I am still human, but I will try my best to focus on what I can do.

After all, we have swallowed our abusers paradigm of what constitutes a successful life and consider ourselves failures for not reaching their definition of success. Well to hell with their paradigm, this is my life now, and that is their own insecurities of not being enough and keeping up with the Jones's......

Even though it has been a traumatising year, it is also the year I asserted my dignity and self-respect the most deliberately and forcefully. 

That makes me the success.

They failed miserably. 

Corny Heart

Former-Member
Not applicable

Yes, you are most definitely a success. You have succeeded where many others have sadly failed.  @Corny  👍💗

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Ruah Community Services supports and empowers vulnerable and disadvantaged people so they can create meaningful change in their lives.

13 RUAH (13 7824)

255 Hay Street, Subiaco, Western Australia 6008

connecting@ruah.org.au

Ruah Community Services acknowledges and respects the Traditional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Custodians/Owners of the land on which we work, live and build our lives, families, and communities. We pay our respects to the First Peoples of this country, their cultures and Elders past, present and emerging.