Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

prodius
Contributor

Part of the brain that causes you to disagree with doctors

Anyone who disagrees with their diagnosis such as schizophrenia or bipolar will be seen as suffering from Anosognosia. Meaning they have poor insight and judgment.

Weather patients views about the reasons why they have experienced what they have. Be it rape abuse or a spiritual experience. It reaffirms to the psychiatrists that the patient without doubt has schizophrenia. They talk about it being the right hemisphere of the brain disagreeing with the doctors.

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Part of the brain that causes you to disagree with doctors

We need to ask ourselves. Is it true that all mental disorder is caused by disturbances of brain function? Is any of it diagnostic? Are they effective? And should we question the doses they put us on or just be agreeable and trust everything they say. Because they are good doctors.

hi @prodius

I feel a lot better on anti-psychotic medication.

I no longer care which part of my brain caused me to disagree with doctors or have nightmares or living/awake daymares all day everyday and all night every night. I am just grateful that I can now sleep (at least sometimes) and get relief from my psychotic symptoms because I met a nice psychiatrist who prescribed me the right meds.

Thats all very good and well. However, they do put a lot of people on heroic doses with a host of side effects. They just assume all mind and or abuse emotional psychological or spiritual issues are all reduced to the brain and that’s all there is to that.

Medication Is ineffective for some people yet it is pushed on everyone displaying any form of mental disorder.

Hi @prodius

I would like to take this chance to welcome you to the forum - we are please to have you here

Personally I think it's very healthy have your own ideas and politely disagree with our doctors - we have our own ideas, experience, education and most of all - our inner knowledge of our own minds, bodies, health and helpful therapies etc

And it really doesn't matter which part of the brain this springs from - probably the frontal cortexd but hey -- imo - I disagree with some of the doctors I see and glad I do

I have chronic pain syndrome and have lived with it for over 20 years and I have educated myself formally and I have researched my own condition and medication in books and on-line and still feel that with insight and dignity I can maintain my opinion and maybe I can't change some doctors opinions I am not inclined to let them change mine either

So this isn't depression but in the past I have had depression and I think a patient can tell a psychiatrist that they have depression - maybe disagree they have schizophrenia or bipolar - make some active choice in what medication they will take - 

Personally I think we need to listen - question - investigate - and be polite

Sure - the doctors have studied brain science but I saw a TV series about Mental Illness recently and doctors admitted a lot of mental diagnosis is a guessing game

So my opinion - as I said - is be polite and ask questions and listens to the answers and consider what was said - we all have the rights and responsibility to be serious, listen and be heard

Wishing you the best

Dec

Dec..

You raise interesting points. 

“Personally I think we need to listen - question - investigate - and be polite“

I agree. 

I was originally diagnosed with schizophrenia then major depressive disorder then Bi Polar altogether lumped as schizoaffective  disorder. These diagnosis’s were all wrong and I do not take any medications anymore. It taken me two years to completely taper off them all. I work have a girlfriend and have not been involved with mental health services for two years.

I did this through an independent psychiatrist.  The psychiatrist I seen does not subscribe to the biological theory of psychiatry. 

I apologise if I sounded abrasive in the beginning. Just feel a bit frustrated with the mental health system.

You didn't seem abrasive to me @prodius so that's fine - just frustrated as I am with Pain Management atm - and why not?

Some doctors might know more about medicine or pharmacology - or whatever - but they might not know that much about people and treated us as indiviuals

I understand

Dec

hi @prodius, what does your psychiatrist do if he/she does not prescribe meds? talking therapy?

That's great that you have a job and a girlfriend, they are significant achievements. I'm curious, what methods did you use to get to that point & what method do you use to keep well?

@BryanaCamp wrote:

hi @prodius, what does your psychiatrist do if he/she does not prescribe meds? talking therapy?

That's great that you have a job and a girlfriend, they are significant achievements. I'm curious, what methods did you use to get to that point & what method do you use to keep well?

Hi, thank you for your questions. This is my personal story. It isn’t the be all or end all. The psychiatrist I seen has argued at great length biological psychiatry is not scientific and never can be. That it fails the essential test of not having a proper model of mental disorder. He is not anti-medication and only uses it for a select few of his patients (short term only) and low dosses.

He believes in the theory of mind being separate to the brain (dualism) without spiritualism. He believes in talk therapy which I have found helpful too.

I have not had any voices or attacks since February 2011. All though he doesn’t have religious beliefs, spiritual cleansing worked for me. I believe the mainstream church is wrong in their approach to exorcism. 

I found them to be very condemning and judgmental towards people who don’t fit in with them. Including  those who have suffered abuse. My Bi Polar diagnosis by mental health services is invalid as it was during abrupt withdrawal of psychiatric drugs.  No one should abruptly stop them. It’s hard to find a truly independent psychiatrist because of groupthink within the profession. But I believe everyone should find what works for them. I don’t agree with one size fits all approach to everyone.

hi @prodius 

great you found your psychiatrist, sounds like a rare find.

spiritually, I feel I've lost my soul due to mental illness.

talking therapies make me enraged & inflame my psychotic sysmtoms so unfortunately I can't pursue them myself. but I really admire & repsect my psychiatrist, he always sees the best in me and has a fine outlook on life. so I feel I've found the right one for me 

do you have a spiritual life, do you go to church or meditate?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Ruah Community Services supports and empowers vulnerable and disadvantaged people so they can create meaningful change in their lives.

13 RUAH (13 7824)

255 Hay Street, Subiaco, Western Australia 6008

connecting@ruah.org.au

Ruah Community Services acknowledges and respects the Traditional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Custodians/Owners of the land on which we work, live and build our lives, families, and communities. We pay our respects to the First Peoples of this country, their cultures and Elders past, present and emerging.