Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Lauz
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Being a male in a caring role // Tues 25 June, 7pm AEST

TT Carers Tile.jpg

Identifying as being in a caring role, particularly as a male can be a little challenging at times. As our special guest @Greg_MenCareToo for this event from Men Care too mentions “Caring and nurture are characteristics not often associated with males but every man has a different experience and unique responsibilities in life. The same can be said when it comes to the caring role.”

We are really excited to make the most of the Topic Tuesday event to explore the feelings around identity, challenges and communication when it comes to being a male in a caring role or being a carer who understands the challenges and can offer those insights to others too.

We welcome all of the community, male or not to share their perspectives and insights!

Want to receive an email reminder on the night? Hit the 'Support' button below.

I'm new here - what is Topic Tuesday?

Topic Tuesday runs from 7pm - 9pm AEST monthly. Each month we focus on a different topic, with the session facilitated by a Community Manager or Moderator. Sometimes Topic Tuesday will feature a special guest, who is an expert in the topic.

The first post of the thread (this one) will give you an idea of what the topic is and what will be covered.

How do I get involved?

Topic Tuesday takes place right here! It's text based, so no software is needed. During the session, to keep up with the latest posts hit the 'refresh' button on your browser for the latest posts (it doesn't automatically update). Keep an eye for page numbers at the top & bottom of the page, and jump to the highest page number for the most recent post.

Throughout the session, the facilitator will put questions out for you to answer, usually asking for your own experience on the topic. To contribute to the session, just hit the 'reply' button and share your thoughts. No answers are right or wrong and everyone is welcome to get involved.

If you have any questions about how to use the Forums, check out our Guides

107 REPLIES 107

Re: Topic Tuesday // Being a male in a caring role // Tues 25 June, 7pm AEST

Hello all and welcome!! @Shaz51 @Determined @Blue6 @Koine @patientpatient @PhD @Alex2 @eth @Nino 

For tonights discussion we are really grateful to have Greg as our special guest from Men Care Too. @Greg_MenCareToo has his own experience of being a carer which inspired him to create the Men Care Too organisation. I’ll let him introduce himself though 😎 We are going to cover some great discussion areas tonight and Greg has some valuable insight for this conversation.

For those of you who may not have come along to a Topic Tuesday event before, I will be posing questions to Greg and the community (yourselves) to respond to and encourage conversation around that!

With that said – Greg can you tell us a little bit about yourself and your interest in the experience of male carers? For the rest of the community it would be great to hear what you brought you here tonight?

Please note, if you have attended a Men Care Too event, its important to not mention your own identity as the forums are an anonymous space for members 👍

Thanks for the welcome. MrDad

Hi @MrDad - thanks for coming along 😊

Hi @Lauz  and everyone else!

My name is Greg and I run a grassroots community group called Men Care Too.  I started MCT because as a bloke in a caring role for more than 10 years, I often felt invisible or left out when attending events and activities for carers.  This was also true when looking for information or resources that I could relate to as a male in a caring role.  Learning about the isolation and loneliness that many carers report experiencing (myself included), I have developed a particular interest in the mental health of male carers as men are more likely to bottle up the challenges they are going through and less likely to seek help in the traditional sense. 

I am not a health professional and I don’t have a univestity education, my experiences as a carer both good and bad have given me what I think is a valuable perspective and I aim to share that through my volunteer work with Men Care Too. 

I am also a passionante Bulldogs fan (NRL) but if you follow the league I’m sure you would agree that’s not something I should be admitting to Smiley Happy  

Evening @Lauz + Greg + everyone .

Hello @MrDad , @Lauz Smiley Very Happy

@Alan,

I'm in a caring role assisting my wife with her degenerative disease as well as her 2 kids who have ASD. On top of that I have my own disabilities to contend with caused through a work accident.

MrDad

Welcome @Determined @Shaz51 👋

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Ruah Community Services supports and empowers vulnerable and disadvantaged people so they can create meaningful change in their lives.

13 RUAH (13 7824)

255 Hay Street, Subiaco, Western Australia 6008

connecting@ruah.org.au

Ruah Community Services acknowledges and respects the Traditional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Custodians/Owners of the land on which we work, live and build our lives, families, and communities. We pay our respects to the First Peoples of this country, their cultures and Elders past, present and emerging.