Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Lauz
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Understanding Mindfulness // Tues 25 Sep, 7pm AEDT

Carers Topic Tuesday banner.png

For this Topic Tuesday, we thought we would revisit a coping strategy that is spoken about a lot these days - mindfulness. The practice of mindfulness can help us to maintain our wellbeing and manage overwhelming and stressful times, however it can be hard to take the time to practice and intimidating to start. We will investigate how this coping mechanism can be adapted into your own self care as a supporter of a loved one. You may even be able to share with them what you learn and approach it together! 

Want to receive an email reminder on the night? Hit the 'Support' button below.

I'm new here - what is Topic Tuesday?

Topic Tuesday runs from 7pm - 9pm AEST monthly. Each month we focus on a different topic, with the session facilitated by a Community Manager or Moderator. Sometimes Topic Tuesday will feature a special guest, who is an expert in the topic.

The first post of the thread (this one) will give you an idea of what the topic is and what will be covered.

How do I get involved?

Topic Tuesday takes place right here! It's text based, so no software is needed. During the session, to keep up with the latest posts hit the 'refresh' button on your browser for the latest posts (it doesn't automatically update). Keep an eye for page numbers at the top & bottom of the page, and jump to the highest page number for the most recent post.

Throughout the session, the facilitator will put questions out for you to answer, usually asking for your own experience on the topic. To contribute to the session, just hit the 'reply' button and share your thoughts. No answers are right or wrong and everyone is welcome to get involved.

If you have any questions about how to use the Forums, check out our Guides.

68 REPLIES 68

Re: Topic Tuesday // Understanding Mindfulness // Tues 25 Sep, 7pm AEDT

Hi everyone,

Shout out to those that wanted a reminder ☺️ @Adge @Maggie @Shaz51 @Brucey @Mum14 @Snowie @Determined

Great to have you all here, tonight we are talking about all things mindfulness!

1.Mindful-Work_crop.jpg

Being mindful can take us out of our automatic responses to the daily grind and can help us break out of old habits, old ways of thinking or just encourage us to navigate a day in a way that makes us feel a little bit more grounded.

As carers, we can sometimes be preoccupied by the needs of our loved one and this can mean that we cannot always tune into our own thoughts and emotions, that is until they surface at inopportune times. Bringing mindfulness into our days can help us manage distress before it becomes overwhelming. This is a winner for a self-care strategy that will hopefully have a positive impact on your relationship with your loved one as well.

So, to start off the night, what do you know about mindfulness and what is one thing you hope it can help you with?

Hi @Lauz Hi everyone. The Likes is not working, so sorry I cannot Like any of your posts (to show that I've read them). Tagging isn't working either, the Drop-Down list does not come up. Mindfulness - trying to focus on things in the present moment, rather than on thoughts & feelings. So sights, sounds, tastes are the focus (I think). Adge

Hi @Adge

Welcome! Sorry to hear you are having troubles with the support button and tagging - very strange! Can you drop an email to team@saneforums.org with more detail on what's not working for you and we can look into it for you tomorrow.

Great description of mindfulness too 👍🏼

Hi @Adge, @Lauz

Mindfulness - trying to focus on things in the present moment, rather than on thoughts & feelings.-- yes me too @Adge

Helllo @Former-Member, @Former-Member

@Lauz

I'm a mindfulness sceptic so watching from the sidelines.

Hi @Shaz51!

Yes, its definitely about getting into the present moment. This can help us to eliviate some anxieties around the past or the future. 

What is one thing would you and @Adge like to gain from using mindfulness in your day to day?

Thanks @Lauz Hi @Shaz51 What can I see? What can I hear? How many objects are in the room? How many different colours can I see? eg Blue, Green, White... Adge

haha welcome @Former-Member - love to have a sceptic on board for the evening! 

@Adge wrote:
Thanks @Lauz Hi @Shaz51 What can I see? What can I hear? How many objects are in the room? How many different colours can I see? eg Blue, Green, White... Adge

That sounds a lot like grounding.  I guess they are related.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Ruah Community Services supports and empowers vulnerable and disadvantaged people so they can create meaningful change in their lives.

13 RUAH (13 7824)

255 Hay Street, Subiaco, Western Australia 6008

connecting@ruah.org.au

Ruah Community Services acknowledges and respects the Traditional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Custodians/Owners of the land on which we work, live and build our lives, families, and communities. We pay our respects to the First Peoples of this country, their cultures and Elders past, present and emerging.