Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

chip
Contributor

The wonder of life

Hi to all that I have met on the Forums in the last week.

Something happened today that I just had to share .

I am lucky to live in the Country and have a large back yard so I have 2 Sheep to help keep the grass down also 1 Ram.The last week we noticed the 2 Ewe's were getting close to Lambing , this morning I looked out the window at around 7 am and noticed 1 Ewe lying down on her side . My first thought, as she wasn't moving was she had died in the night , so I rushed out side to see , then she struggled up, but she had started to give birth and the lambs head was hanging out, so I slowly walked her in to a yard close to the house and left her for a wile.

I kept a close eye on her and after about 1 hr. I could see that she needed help so after talking to a Farmer friend I decided I would need to help as the head was showing but the legs wern't & with some help from the Farmer the Lamb was born, but wasn't breathing so after some help with that as well things still didn't look good for the little fella, there wasn't anymore we could do , we left the Lamb with it's mother thinking it was dead.

About 1 hr. later I herd a faint noise like a lamb bleating , but very faint so went to look and found the lamb struggling to breath but still hanging on ,his mother wasn't showing any interest and he was shaking from the cold so I picked him up and took him inside to warm him , then got some milk from the mother and after 2 hrs got him to drink.

To finish up, he is back with his mother now and has fed by himself a couple of times .

That's one hell of a fight to live !

8 REPLIES 8

Re: The wonder of life

Hi @chip, what a wonderful story indeed. That must have made your day. Apart from my own two kids, I've never witnessed an animal being born. Actually I tell a lie - I did see fish being brought into the world but that's not nearly as inspiring as what you were a part of.

How amazing it was that you could lend a hand until the mother sheep took over. Did you give it a name?

not yet , but as he came back from the dead I was thinking of calling him J C

Or maybe Lazarus or Zara if it's a girl @chip

Former-Member
Not applicable

Perhaps LC @chip - short for lamb chop
Former-Member
Not applicable

@chip
We live rural too, have just put one of our beef cattle in the freezer (yes, she had a name).
I care for my husband who has bipolar ii plus more.
Who do you care for?
Darcy

That cow must be pretty cold @Former-Member.

I reckon I could live the rural life. If it wasn't for my kids living in the city, I'd be very tempted. Maybe I'll find a place three or four hours out one day so I could still see them from time to time. 

My first fulltime job after uni was in a small town. You had to have been born there to be called a local even if you had lived there for 20 years. It had its charm about it but lacked in some services. Only one supermarket, one cafe, cinema open three nights a week. There were lots of pubs though 🤣

@Former-Member  Hi I care for lots of people now , its my job eventhough I dont get paid . Not the same as you though , its good that you care for your Husband , it must be hard for you at times , do you still get a chance to do some nice things for yourself ? Yes its great to live Rural but it has good and bad , I have to travel 450 km. to see my Daughter , but its too hard for her to come see me . 

Former-Member
Not applicable

@chip
I assumed that you are caring for someone or have a friend specifically with a mental health diagnosis as you are on the carer forum.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Ruah Community Services supports and empowers vulnerable and disadvantaged people so they can create meaningful change in their lives.

13 RUAH (13 7824)

255 Hay Street, Subiaco, Western Australia 6008

connecting@ruah.org.au

Ruah Community Services acknowledges and respects the Traditional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Custodians/Owners of the land on which we work, live and build our lives, families, and communities. We pay our respects to the First Peoples of this country, their cultures and Elders past, present and emerging.