Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Dittsy
New Contributor

Positive Social Media Having a Negative Effect

To preface this, I'm currently actively seeking work, and was heavily encouraged recently to use the career-social platform LinkedIn. For anyone who doesn't frequent it, it's basically a job seeking website, with an added social posting board; something akin to Facebook, in which people can post updates about themselves. This is, I'm assuming, supposed to be used in conjunction with looking for work so that employers can get a more realistic view of what each individuals preferred activities look like, whilst also encouraging people to share their successes with each other in a positive, like-minded community.

However, I'm finding lately that the constant barrage of posts from people talking about themselves is making my mental health increasingly worse. Now, it can obviously just be written off as jealousy of other people's success, and I'd be satisfied if it were that. But the feelings and emotions that surface tend to lean more towards resentment and bitterness, not of the people, but just of their seemingly cavalier attitudes towards life, and this got me thinking if social media is still doing more harm to people's mental health than actual good.

This is completely separate from people who have experienced harassment online, or are still being harassed, for one reason or another; this is a dislike of people just talking about themselves, which sounds ludicrous. Now I'm not (or try not to be) a fun-killer here; people are allowed to be positive and proud and whatever else, and damn if I should say anything about that; but I feel like it comes off very disingenuous, or worse, expectant of praise for that small post or update, and being constantly exposed to that seemingly, but not surprisingly, adds to that resentment.

Being someone who does experience mental health issues daily, it especially agitates me when I see people making posts relating to positive action against mental health, for example your "R U OK" days and whatnot, where they post about it, but (from what I've seen at least) don't do anything beyond that, and I find it very interesting that the positive, uplifting posts are the ones that get me angrier than the neutral ones.

Again, in the case of LinkedIn (not to point fingers here), I feel like adding a social element comes off like the company is basically saying "hey, you got another career rejection, but don't worry, Greg here is using a more cost effective way to generate KPIs". Now, the obvious answer is to just get off social media, but that only makes me believe that the problem is worse than initially perceived; the fact that we need to back away from technology that is supposed to make us feel connected and - at this point - is borderline integral to how we function as a society, makes me genuinely concerned towards what effect this will have on future generations (I'm talking 30 years in the future or later).

Is this a social problem? Is it a people problem? Is it an internet problem? Is it just a Me problem? Not really seeking answers, just posting food for thought. I'm curious if anyone has had similar experiences and how it's affected your mental health.

(just an endnote, yes I understand the irony of using a forum board to criticise social media, but I tend to think of this place more as a serious advice area, which categorises it differently for me)

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Positive Social Media Having a Negative Effect

Hey @Dittsy, thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences with the Forums community!

It sounds like you have been through a lot of challenges with social media. You are demonstrating your resilience and strength in being open with your peers here on the Forums. Social media is not always a good experience for everyone and it's great that you can identify that it's not a space for you.

If you need a little extra support, you can reach out to crisis lines who can support you with your experiences. I will add a few contact details below:

Lifeline: 13 11 14 or Lifeline Chat 

Beyond Blue: 1300 22 4636 or Beyond Blue Webchat

1800 RESPECT: 1800 737 732, www.1800respect.org.au 

Suicide call back service: 1300 659 467 or Online Counselling 

If in immediate danger: 000  www.triplezero.gov.au/triple-zero/How-to-Call-000

You can also contact SANE's Support Line and speak with a counsellor Monday to Friday from 10 am to 8 pm (AEST/AEDT): 1800 187 263 Counselling

There are also some great spaces to connect with you peers on the Forums too if you would like to check them out: Looking for a space to connect with others? Find a... - SANE Forums

Thanks again for share your experiences!

Take care

RiverSeal 

Hey @Dittsy ,

I guess social media has its place. For me, I find it does me more harm than good so I never stay long enough for anything to get to me. It's not worth the mental stress.

If you find it unhelpful, it's a good idea to hop off. Use other avenues such as jora, seek etc.

I hope you find what you are looking for without having the mental stress.

Hi @Dittsy , you're not alone in your feeling towards LinkedIn - I too feel surronded in a sea of people doing incredible things and posting about their achievements constantly. As somebody who also had mental health problems that aspect weighs on me. On this site you are constantly perceived by potential employers and other professionals so there doesn't feel like there's space to be genuine. 

I think there's lots of pressure to be mentally healthy and well rounded especially on a platform like LinkedIn. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Ruah Community Services supports and empowers vulnerable and disadvantaged people so they can create meaningful change in their lives.

13 RUAH (13 7824)

255 Hay Street, Subiaco, Western Australia 6008

connecting@ruah.org.au

Ruah Community Services acknowledges and respects the Traditional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Custodians/Owners of the land on which we work, live and build our lives, families, and communities. We pay our respects to the First Peoples of this country, their cultures and Elders past, present and emerging.