Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Continuity of care- I need your help please

Thanks @Snowie @Jynx 

I shall make that change @Jynx  i haven’t really kept track, but I’ve still got the tab open on my phone and I’m sure I could find it all again. 

if I had the time I would gather supporting letters from my other supports, but I was only informed of this yesterday and I’m having this phone call tomorrow. I mentioned it to my CM last night and she suggested I write a letter. I’m certain I would have everyone’s backing. Even my mum is puzzled by this decision and just doesn’t understand it, and she doesn’t work in this field. She just knows and sees the spiral that happens when I have a change in support. 

I can already see what is going to happen with this change…. The trust and safety I have in my SW is so vital. 

For sure, I really hope they listen to you @Bow. I too am completely baffled by this decision, not only because it's the opposite of what is needed in provision of care, but because it seems to have been made with absolutely no attempt to actually ask the clients, who will be the most impacted, whether it is a good idea or not. Utter ignorance, honestly. Yikes. 

Let us know how it all goes hun, fingers crossed 🤞💜

@Bow the Mh system can be so disappointing. If a client came to me telling me what you’ve said here in the future, as a social worker I would advocate, because this isn’t fair for you. I really do hope they listen to you and hear you out.

Sending you love and hugs 💖🫂

I’m worried that I will become ‘that annoying client’ and make a big deal of this and it get me absolutely no where. I have put so much effort into this and for him to already have made this decision and this is all just formality. My voice is so little. 

it will have such hugely negative impacts on me if it goes ahead. And I don’t want to make a big deal of what I know will happen cause I don’t want it to come across as being manipulative? If that makes sense?

When it comes to advocating for your needs @Bow I vote you embrace being the most annoying, insistent, thorn-in-the-side of these folks as you can be. Because you deserve to have your needs met, and because as we've all already pointed out, this decision is just plain dumb. It's not trauma-informed, not healthy, and I sincerely doubt that you are the only person who would be negatively impacted by it. What if there's others who don't have the ability to speak up about this? Maybe you're not just standing up for yourself, but for them as well. So, so what if you annoy them? Their annoyance pales in comparison to your need for consistency in your MH supports. Their annoyance isn't your responsibility, but your needs are. So get loud, get insistent, and get angry - because you deserve to have the right kind of care. 

Acvocating for your needs with clear-cut communication, and with the support of others in your treating team, is a far cry from manipulation hun. It's just communicating. 

Hey @Bow 

How did this all go?

@LilMapleLeaf  I’m staying with my current support worker for this next quarter so that I can do a lengthy transition to a new one for the next quarterly change. 
So while yes I am staying with my SW, it didn’t really make much difference, I will still be changing support workers every 3 months.

@Bow 

UGH That is so frustrating for you! I'm so sorry this is happening. Also you did an amazing job on writing up your argument, you should be proud of what you've been able to do, even if management didn't agree. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Ruah Community Services supports and empowers vulnerable and disadvantaged people so they can create meaningful change in their lives.

13 RUAH (13 7824)

255 Hay Street, Subiaco, Western Australia 6008

connecting@ruah.org.au

Ruah Community Services acknowledges and respects the Traditional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Custodians/Owners of the land on which we work, live and build our lives, families, and communities. We pay our respects to the First Peoples of this country, their cultures and Elders past, present and emerging.