Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: D.I.D....

ohhhhh tender hugs @Smc  HeartHeart

Feeling for you @Smc  and understand the hesitation in reveling the emotional response. Same sentiments here.  

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Smc 

Are you able to ramp up your own care at the moment?  

Trust your time away is ok.

Smc
Senior Contributor

Time away is proving to be pleasant @Former-Member. It's a bit of a "working weekend" for Hubby but at a nice, comfortable venue. We're with a bunch of other "craft tradies" that we've known for years, so it's a bit of a social catch up too.

We're trying to keep an eye on our self care. Can't see a lot extra that we can kick in right now, but at least we're trying not to neglect what we already do. (Hence a lot of recent gardening for me.)

Our overnight trip away last weekend was with the intention of giving ourselves more conscious self care time, but the fact that we got the phonecall from the hospital on our way home from that is kind of daunting. Younger Daughter has a week long school camp late this year, and I've been thinking about organising a few nights away for Hubby and me while she's away, but there's that niggling uncertainty over whether it might be interrupted. Younger Son has commented that he'd love to see us have an overseas holiday together (does sound nice...), but that really feels unwise at present. Within our state, or even slightly interstate, we could head home in a hospital level ememrgency situation, but is not so easy when it requires a last minute plane booking.

Smc
Senior Contributor

Older Daughter has now been discharged home.

The acute psych unit isn't set up for long term stay or for therapy. The theory is that you get people "stable" then discharge them with a community care plan.

The reality is that she's not going to have much if any more support than usual, she's still not really in a stable state of mind, and she's been breaking her usual SH behaviour boundaries. Smiley Frustrated

So it doesn't feel like "Yay, she's improving". It feels more like "And now we wait..."

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Smcimages (118).jpeg

Smc
Senior Contributor

Older Daughter was back in ER last night for re-repairs. She rang about midnight, trying to fight back the urge, and not having found the advice she was given over the phone helpful. I talked through with her about the intention of the suggestions they'd given- routine things that would require enough attention to hopefully both break her train of thought and have a "counting sheep" effect of helping her sleep. Suggested a similar but maybe more appealing option, trying to encourage her... then the phone cut out. 😕 Our end. It's almost new, but has been getting really dodgy lately.

By the time it came back online, her phone was engaged. Kept the phone by the bed, and she rang through again to let me know that she was waiting for the ambulance, and her brother was sitting up with her to make sure she didn't do anything else.

I was so tired that I fell asleep again anyway, but both Hubby and I are on edge and exhausted today. We've been on edge constantly lately, over-reacting to little things. Like getting a fright when the phone rings.

@Smc...

Thinking of you 😞  

Smc
Senior Contributor

Another SA last night, but they sent her back home. We're concerned that she's genuinely unsafe, have rung the MH team to emphasise this concern. Waiting to hear back from her caseworker, who was probably out visiting her at the time we phoned.

It's one of those stretches when you wake up in the morning hoping she's still around... not good times. 😞

ohhhlots of tender hugs @Smc  and sitting with you xx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Ruah Community Services supports and empowers vulnerable and disadvantaged people so they can create meaningful change in their lives.

13 RUAH (13 7824)

255 Hay Street, Subiaco, Western Australia 6008

connecting@ruah.org.au

Ruah Community Services acknowledges and respects the Traditional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Custodians/Owners of the land on which we work, live and build our lives, families, and communities. We pay our respects to the First Peoples of this country, their cultures and Elders past, present and emerging.