Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Loneliness

A film club would be fun @Former-Member, does he have a favourite director? 

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Ali11 he doesn't really have a favourite but he likes Gore Verbinski of Pirates of the Caribbean. He also loves musicals, Tim Rice, Andrew Lloyd Webber. And some others I can't remember !

morning @Former-Member how are you & your son travelling today?

My problems of being disconnected from reality were greatly helped with anti-psychotic meds but that's just me, not everyone responds the same to meds & not everyone has a psychotic illness. They also helped enormously with my anxiety and social anxiety. They are the main reason I am able to have conversations to people, relate to people & have friendships. I really sympathise with your son's social anxiety, I found it crippling for most of my life. Repeated exposure to social situations and practicing my conversation skills helped some but for me medication is what really made the difference. I hope your son can find a way to make some new friends & enjoy their company. I think having good company really helps with MI. I'm sure he's a thoroughly likeable, sensitive and interesting young guy.

Are you seeing a psychologist?

How's work? My new job is going well, I've finally finished training & started work proper. I've got a shift this arvo which I'm looking forward to then it's the weekend! I'm trying a new restaurant with a couple of friends tonight & it will be nice to have some good news about my job to share with them, makes a nice change from my usual faking it that my life is great!

hope you have a peacful Friday, take care Smiley Happy

Former-Member
Not applicable

@BryanaCamp good morning, how was your get together last night? My doctor started me on an anti psychotic, I made the mistake of quitting them suddenly and the horrible feelings of emptiness I had ( worse than normal) I luckily discovered was down to withdrawals. So I got my script filled again 2 days ago and the difference it has made is huge. Silly mistake on my part and unnecessarily suffered. 

I see my doctor next Wednesday and will enquire about see their in house psychologist. I spoke to a lovely social worker there and we have made a care plan. I also have an NDIS appointment in a couple weeks and will discuss getting help to find work and access social programs. It's the mornings that are worst for me, just feelings of loneliness which is why I get up and go for a walk. I know my mind is geared toward the negative so I try to challenge my thinking when I'm walking and it does make me feel better if only for a while. It's like I'm riding a bike with training wheels, learning to think positively is a process I do need help with.

My son is OK, he's been busy at work so it's keeping him occupied. He had panic attacks when visiting his dad who is an alcoholic. It has affected my son profoundly and he may need to talk to someone about it when he's ready to. He's had a rough start to life, me mentally I'll and his dad an alcoholic. He's a brave young man and I understand why he shuts down when things get too much. The good thing is that I'm getting help for myself and his dad is seeking treatment. 

How was your shift at work?

Gore Verbinski is a good one, does he also like Jon Favreau (Iron Man director) @Former-Member? Those are some great musical directors - has your son heard of Lin-Manuel Miranda?

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Ali11 I'll ask him but I know he likes the iron man movies ( they're great, love Robert Downey Jnr!) and he is obsessed with Hamilton. 

The Iron Man films are great @Former-Member! That's a good reminder that another great director is Taika Waititi from NZ, who did Thor Ragnarok. Hamilton is a great musical! Did you hear that it's coming to Australia next year?   

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Ali11 I didn't know or my son might have mentioned it but I forgot. Memory is not so good. I know it probably would be quite dear securing tickets. He did take me to see Evita for my birthday earlier this year, well priced tickets on the balcony ( I sat halfway down my chair the entire time as I'm afraid of heights!). Tina Arena was wonderful as Eva Peron, both my son and I cried for different reasons. He cried because he found the whole show so beautiful, I cried when Tina sang Don't Cry for me Argentina lol. He wants to see Swan Lake, it's showing at the Palais I think he said. Not too expensive. Ill have to google Taika Waititi, I haven't seen Thor yet but heard good things. I'm currently watching Good Omens on Amazon with my son, he read the book and so far it is incredible and really funny. Laughing again feels good!

Hi @Former-Member  I was wondering how you're going.  Great to hear you're having a laugh ... it's excellent medicine for us.

Former-Member
Not applicable

@eth good morning, I'm feeling much better today. Had a good sleep the last two nights which has helped immensely. I also restarted meds I was silly to stop abruptly two weeks ago, oh boy, did I put myself through unnecessary pain! It taught me a valuable lesson, to not play around with my meds and to always speak to my doctor. Part of me wishes I didn't have to take them but now I know they are actually helping to keep me functioning. 

My my old friend laughter is visiting again, my son and I share a similar sense of humour so it's nice to share laughter with him. How are you travelling? 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Ruah Community Services supports and empowers vulnerable and disadvantaged people so they can create meaningful change in their lives.

13 RUAH (13 7824)

255 Hay Street, Subiaco, Western Australia 6008

connecting@ruah.org.au

Ruah Community Services acknowledges and respects the Traditional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Custodians/Owners of the land on which we work, live and build our lives, families, and communities. We pay our respects to the First Peoples of this country, their cultures and Elders past, present and emerging.