Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

RWJD
New Contributor

Psychosis? Or just disrespectful

My partner recently experienced a psychotic episode and was hospitalised for a couple of weeks. He was discharged after improving, however how attitude and demeanour towards is just horrible- rude, dismissive, disrespectful and just plain disgusting. I feel like nothing. I feel like a piece of shit. He is not working, I have been trying to hold it together and maintain work to support through this difficult time. 

at this point I don’t know what is psychosis and what is just him being an asshole. I feel like I’m going crazy noticing this behaviour, while everyone congratulates him for his improvement. 

I don’t know how long I can handle this 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Psychosis? Or just disrespectful

Hi @RWJD ,

I'm so sorry to hear what is happening.

I hear there is a fine line between when is psychosis and what is not.

Have you had a chance to sit down with him to have a chat about it? Using "I" statements can be helpful e.g. "I feel XYZ when you say XYZ. I understand you have not been well, but I am doing what I can to help. Is there something else you think will help?"

I'd also encourage you to phone: 

1800RESPECT 1800 737 732 https://www.1800respect.org.au/

If you have any further concerns about the way he is treating you.

We are here for you. Please let us know how things go.

@RWJD 

Sounds like a very difficult time.

I agree the line can be blurry, either way, it sounds as if you need RESPECT, self protection and boundaries.  Regardless of what it is, there are only so many times we can excuse people's behaviour.  I do not know the whole story, but I really do not like it when mental illness is used an excuse.  A lot depends on trauma load and resources and support that are available to both of you.  Psychosis is a genuine state of distress, and not plain venting of anger or disappointment.

Take acre of you as well as your relationship.

I can ready relate to your situation. My daughter is verbally abusively to select members of her family and sweet as pie to most other people. My partner recently saw the flip side of her behaviour and was horrified, ld kept this behaviour under wraps because lm ashamed and ditressed by it. Just before her last hospitalisation l was genuinely scared of her. Then she gets all sorry about and this all breaks my heart

I truly feel for you, my wife has had a number of hospital stays now and each time is resentful of me, often holds the belief I am against her and if I just believed in her she will be fine. the following months post hospital stay can be so hard - it’s 100% give, give, give and get little to nothing in return. Everyone gathers around them, meanwhile the partners is left doing everything, working, kids, all meals, everyday household chores, financials etc with little to no thanks 

it does get better…. Time, patience.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Ruah Community Services supports and empowers vulnerable and disadvantaged people so they can create meaningful change in their lives.

13 RUAH (13 7824)

255 Hay Street, Subiaco, Western Australia 6008

connecting@ruah.org.au

Ruah Community Services acknowledges and respects the Traditional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Custodians/Owners of the land on which we work, live and build our lives, families, and communities. We pay our respects to the First Peoples of this country, their cultures and Elders past, present and emerging.