Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Staying safe while supporting others // April 18, 7pm AEST

So some of the risks we're hearing includes:

- being triggered

Emotional exhaustion

- limited time to reflect and recouporate

- getting grumpy/irritable due to lack of sleep/lessened quality of sleep

- not being as effective a listener/advice giver

@Odette - I particulary think it's important to flag what yousaid about not being as effective listening / advice giver because you have highlighted the risk isn't just for us, but also for the person we're trying to support!

A couple I will add include:

• Burn out 
  • Compassion fatigue 
  • Secondary traumatic stress (or as @BlueBay said -feeling triggered) - re-experiencing the shared traumatic events, avoidance/numbing of reminders, and/or persistent arousal (e.g., anxiety) associated with the person.

I'm with @BlueBay {waves to BlueBay} - getting triggered is the biggest challenge for me.

Exhaustion. Isoaltion- particularly when you're supporting someone who is going through uncommon experiences. Breaching confidence.

@NikNik and boundary setting

Yes @Odette, @NikNik

sometimes I will write something and if i don`t get a reply back I start to feel i have said the wrong thing

@NikNik sometimes I think that I worry and think of that person I want to help so much that it takes up a lot of my time.  Not that I don't want to help, don't get me wrong, I always do.  But then I think about them all the time and wonder how they are; if they are okay, if they are alone. I wish I could do more.

But at the end of the day - we (I) need to look after ourselves first and foremost.  We can't help others if we are not okay.  I feel that would do more harm.  That's why sometimes I have a little break from the forum.

You will often hear professionals and probably others in your life bang on about self care. I use to have the misconception that self-care was something I did when I felt myself going downhill – but what I’ve since learnt is that self-care is also a preventative and should be integrated into your life.

I kind of imagine the different aspects of my life, each as a glass of water and I need to keep an eye on when water is getting low in one and top it up.

As someone who provides peer support, self-care is important to you too.

Does anyone want to share what benefits they have seen by integrating self-care into their lives?

How do you do it?

(& don't worry if you can't answer this just now, we will be looking at this in more depth soon!)

@Shaz51 @NikNik

I'm the same - if I don't get a reply back i think I have upset that person or said something wrong. It's that BPD - not wanting to hurt others; people pleaser

Yep @Shaz51 i feel the same way as that

Well said @BlueBay !
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Ruah Community Services supports and empowers vulnerable and disadvantaged people so they can create meaningful change in their lives.

13 RUAH (13 7824)

255 Hay Street, Subiaco, Western Australia 6008

connecting@ruah.org.au

Ruah Community Services acknowledges and respects the Traditional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Custodians/Owners of the land on which we work, live and build our lives, families, and communities. We pay our respects to the First Peoples of this country, their cultures and Elders past, present and emerging.