Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Chris
Senior Contributor

A decision to make

So I have a big decision to make. It's huge in fact .Basically I will be putting myself in a very vulnerable position, and I don't know if I have the courage to do this. Once done there is no turning back. The problem is that I dont have all the facts yet, and it will be a few more weeks before that happens. So I find myself stuck. Glued to the chair or bed,This is what happens when I feel overwhelmed. I cannot at this point say what this is about, so probably does,nt make any sense to anyone.

34 REPLIES 34
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: A decision to make

makes sense, i have to decide about going back to work, and im so overwhelmed i cant function. my brain is racing with all sorts of possibiliies good and bad and i just can't make a decision.

My mental health worker said today to write up a list of pros and cons, then leave it for a while, try not to think about it and look at it again at the same time tomorrow and see if i can add anything else, then leave it for the weekend. see if things get a bit unstuck for me. 

Hope you are able to have a chat to someone to help you find the right way to go, and that you can be ok with your decision,

take care,

LJ

Hi @Chris

Wow it can be so anxiety-provoking to be faced with a huge decision! It's especially hard when you don't have all the facts and have to manage that uncertainty!

You might find it helpful to remember that there is no right or wrong answer for the direction you want to go in your own life, and you can only make the choice that seems best to you given the information available to you at the time.

Is there anything that has been helpful when you have felt overwhelmed in the past that may be useful in managing this feeling while you're working through your decision?

All the best for deciding @Chris, and try to be kind to yourself... Remember, it would be a huge challenge for anyone to make a decision that may put them in a vulnerable position, so it's not surprising that you feel stuck at the moment! You don't have to be perfect though, so I hope you can get to a position where you feel able to move forward whatever you decide 🙂

Hi @Chris
Nice to see you 🙂
I hope the decision making is going okay.
We're here if you need us.

Nik

@Shimmer, hi,
My name is @PeppiPatty.
Like like so much the message.
There's no right or wrong.
What has been good for you in the past............
Be kind to yourself.

gentle message.
thanks for bringing in your message.

:0)

Still no closer to a decision,but have talked to my psychologist about the pros and cons of it. Some aspects of the matter are clearer in my mind.but I can't make a decision until I have more information. That is'nt going to happen for another three or four weeks.and that's the hard part waiting and not knowing.Thanks for the feed back from everyone.
Former-Member
Not applicable

I hate waiting, my mind goes into complete overdrive and catastrophises everything! sigh! and i know self awareness of that is supposed to mean more control over the worrying but still! Hope that the weeks go by quickly for you and the extra information helps you to make the best decision for you.

Good luck

LJ

I really believe in following your "gut" . If it feels right it probably is and if it doesn't feel right that may be a red flag telling you it might be a mistake. I have been sorry when I didn't listen to my gut.

I wonder how much longer can this go on. I am getting to the point that I cannot do this any more.So much negative mind talk.Doors slamming shut in my mind..shutting everyone out. Feel a failure, attention seeker,unable to finish what I start,.Even my therapist said she could see I didn't want to be there.Feel like I'm throwing a right tantrum. I don't know if I can start this new group therapy. I know it will be very intense at times. I don't know if I have enough skills to work through those times. Another thing I want to throw the towel in.going to the dietitian has brought a lot of stuff up. Want to throw that in too. Feeling like a loser can't do any of this anymore.

Dear @Chris 

Thinking about you. 

Do you feel it would be an idea to only see one person?

Always enjoyed reading  your messages.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Ruah Community Services supports and empowers vulnerable and disadvantaged people so they can create meaningful change in their lives.

13 RUAH (13 7824)

255 Hay Street, Subiaco, Western Australia 6008

connecting@ruah.org.au

Ruah Community Services acknowledges and respects the Traditional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Custodians/Owners of the land on which we work, live and build our lives, families, and communities. We pay our respects to the First Peoples of this country, their cultures and Elders past, present and emerging.