Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Cristeen
Casual Contributor

Confused Bipolar 2

Somethings weird has been going on I have Bipolar 2 and im medicated but over the last few weeks something has gone wrong I have always been a little paraniod but the usual stuff home alone and what not but wow its getting crazy im losing sleep I keep thinking there is someone in the house walking around I can hear foot steps, seeing weird flashes out of the corner of my eye, to worried to go outside cause what if someone dodgy is out there, the blinds completely closed because someone may be able to peak though can't even leave the cats because what if the house catches fire... Is this nornal... I dont know what to do
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Confused Bipolar 2

Hi @Cristeen, I have bipolar 1, diagnosed about nine years ago, but have been seeing psychiatrists since 1990 (with different diagnosis before that). In my experience, it is a worrying development that you are experiencing these things. I think you need to take action on this as soon as possible. If it was me, I would try to see my psychiatrist very quickly to discuss these things and be treated for them.

In the meantime, is there anything you can do to ease the fear for yourself? For example, if I am feeling scared at night, I leave on the bathroom light so that I am not in pitch darkness. I might cuddle my pillow for an extra feeling of security. And I would be consciously reminding myself as much as possible of the extreme unlikeliness that any of my fears were based in reality.

Wishing you well. Maz

That's such great advice @Mazarita. A
night light could be good. There are so many special ones out there.

That sounds really hard @Cristeen Can you get to a Dr in the near future? It sounds like you are recognizing that these thoughts are paranoid. I have Bipolar 1 and get paranoid thoughts too. Usually it's fleeting but was full blown when I had a manic episode. It was awful and got to the point where I had trouble telling what was real and what wasn't. Last year, I felt paranoia starting to get a foothold and my Psychiatrist added in an extra medication until things settled down. It worked and I'm off it again now. If these thoughts and fears are stopping you doing things you normally do it would be worth getting a review, at least from a trusted GP. Wishing you well.

Hi guys thanks for replying, its all got me on edge so much im stuck on the couch most of the day I seem to have developed it as my safe zone. Im meant to have a doctors app tomorrow but im to afraid to leave the cats here on thier own and they cant go outside. I just feel so weird like im here but im not at the same time

Sorry @Cristeen, I didn't read your post properly the first time due to my own troubles today. What I should have said is just could you call someone who might be able to help you get to the doctors tomorrow. Please excuse my oversight. Some days are not good days for any of us. 

Hello @Cristeen,

I have read your posts and am wondering how are you going now over the last few days? I have Bipolar 1 and mixed Bipolar with unipolar Mania episodes, I am wondering if you are seeing your Dr. and a psychologist/psychiatrist ? I found that for me to get an understanding of my mental condition was to see a psychologist and psychiatrist on a regular basis. I hope very much that you are going ok.  I found as I learnt more about Bipolar it was good for me as I learnt about how i could start to try and gain some control with it.

Thinking of you and I hope you let me/us know how your going?

all my respect for you, @Dogman

@Cristeen hi there, what you are experiencing must be really scary.

I wonder if you have recently started new medication, the neural flashes (light in the eyes) and feelings of panic and being scared may be brought on by a medication not being right (that has happened to me before) as well as potentially new symptoms. Either way it is something you need some help with.

I was diagnosed with bipolar II (but am pretty sure I am actually bipolar I need to talk to a psyche about that).

Can I check in with you, whether there is some safe way that you can leave the cats so you can get out to the doctors? Would making a plan help you - perhaps putting their beds and bowls and litter in the bathroom, for instance, and shutting the door, just before you go out, help you know they were safe? 

Number one thing is to get some help, perhaps if you called your doctors and explained what is happening they may allow a phone consult or something like that?

Keep reminding yourself that you are safe and one step at a time, get some help, eh?

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Cristeen

No it's not normal unfortunately. I thought the same thing as @MoonGal - it may be a medication side effect or meds need revising as you could be having a reaction and/or they are not suitable for you. Your anxiety levels are going sky high which will increase any paranoia thoughts. The above can do that and/or any recent any stressors, losses, abuse or trauma you may have had of late.

It's extremely important that you see your psychiatrist. When tonight's assail you of your house burning down or ther is someone in the house etc - ignore them and talk back to them stating "it will be okay - the cats will be safe while I am at the doctors". Then please go as you will feel much better for it - keep telling yourself that.

I don't know if you have had a full medical examination to rule out any possible physical disorders that can cause such mental symptoms (thyroid/hormonal imbalances, vitamin deficiencies (particularly the B group), brain scans etc). Just to rule out things and give peace of mind.

I am not sure if you are seeing a psychologist as well but when feeling better I think this will help you in addition to seeing a psychiatrist to help learn coping strategies to deal better with any paranoid and anxious thoughts. Hoping you feel better real soon.

@Cristeen, hi there, wondering how you are feeling today?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Ruah Community Services supports and empowers vulnerable and disadvantaged people so they can create meaningful change in their lives.

13 RUAH (13 7824)

255 Hay Street, Subiaco, Western Australia 6008

connecting@ruah.org.au

Ruah Community Services acknowledges and respects the Traditional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Custodians/Owners of the land on which we work, live and build our lives, families, and communities. We pay our respects to the First Peoples of this country, their cultures and Elders past, present and emerging.