Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

soppykat
Senior Contributor

Stupid relationships

Hi I was involved in an online *thing* for nearly two years, only to find out that the person didn't like me back the entire time.  I wasted nearly two years waiting for something to happen, but nothing did. It ended up that I liked/possibly loved/him the whole time, but he didn't even care about me at all.  I found out that he was cheating, and didn't even bother to care about this until I made him talk.

All my friends kept saying that it wasn't a real relationship, but it certainly felt like it to me.

I feel like I have wasted nearly two years of my life.  At least I can move on now, but since I am mentally ill, I have already been discriminated.  Stupid relationships 😞

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Stupid relationships

Hi @soppykat I'm sorry to hear you've had this experience and this person hasn't given you the respect you deserve. As for your friends saying it isn't a real relationship- I think you are the only person who can determine that, as you are the one who was living it. As you said, it felt very real to you and I'm sure the break up feels very real also. I'm sorry you don't feel heard by your friends. Is there anyone who can support you, that will validate your experience and listen to your concerns? It might be worth having a chat to Relationships Australia  as they do a lot of work around respectful relationships. Two years is a long time to be involved with someone and it can be hard seeing that as wasted time but sometimes we have to have these experiences to learn more about ourselves and others and end up in a better place. 💝

Re: Stupid relationships

Hi @Paperdaisy - i guess i have learnt from this experience not to assume things anymore lol.

I don't think im going to try online relationships again.  I think I have gotten over the grieving process though, so that is good.

Thank you for replying to my post 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Ruah Community Services supports and empowers vulnerable and disadvantaged people so they can create meaningful change in their lives.

13 RUAH (13 7824)

255 Hay Street, Subiaco, Western Australia 6008

connecting@ruah.org.au

Ruah Community Services acknowledges and respects the Traditional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Custodians/Owners of the land on which we work, live and build our lives, families, and communities. We pay our respects to the First Peoples of this country, their cultures and Elders past, present and emerging.